9.15.2011

Elaine Katzer lidded bowl

IMG_6233
IMG_6234
IMG_6237

Always on the lookout for interesting, hippie, handmade, design-y pottery, this fit the bill on all counts.
It was only after picking it up we saw the name Katzer.


Screen shot 2011-09-15 at 7.17.27 AM

Above, Elaine Katzer on the kick wheel in 1962, from here, which looks like it's going to be an awesome show. And below, slightly more impressive than our bowl is her giant stoneware work "Sea Chanty" (1976), from the book California Design...
In fact, this may be my new favorite thing .
elainekatzerseachanty










Pin It

4 comments:

Burgin Streetman said...

i love how her feet are sticking out.

hana ryan said...

what an amazing find! i hunt for such pottery, too! that piece is beautiful and the story priceless...

David Neale said...

I am imagining if graffiti kids made 3d versions of their stuff out of clay, like "Sea Chanty"...Stick it on the wall with tile glue. Come back and grout it another night...Yeah I like it...

John said...

I was imagining the same thing, which led to me thinking that someone should make inflatable graffiti...(it's on my to do list)